Ninth Annual Reading Competition: Celebrating the 200th birthday of Anne Sewell, (Third – Revised Call for participants)
Committed to promoting English literature to high school students, UACS School of Foreign Languages is organizing the Ninth Annual Reading Competition. This year’s competition will honor the English writer Anne Sewell (1820-1878) on the occasion of her 200th birthday, and due to the outbreak of the Covid-19 virus and the recommendations of the Ministry of Education, the Competition will be done electronically.
We would like to invite English teachers from the secondary schools to participate in this competition with their students. The competition is open to third and fourth-year secondary-school students who can apply to read an excerpt from Anne Sewell’s only novel Black Beauty. Free on-line complete text of Sewell’s novel Black Beauty (1877), which is considered one of the best top ten selling novels for children and young adults ever written, can be found at https://www.globalgreyebooks.com/black-beauty-ebook.html
Each English teacher can participate with maximum of two students as two separate contestants. This year we will not accept group participants/contestants.
Under the mentorship of their teacher, each student should read an excerpt (300-400 words) and record the reading, The video should not exceed three minutes (the students should introduce him/herself, state the school and the mentor, and read the excerpt). All interested teachers/mentors and students should register and send their application forms and videos in one email (See the application form in attachment where you can also find the general rules, the scale of marks and the criteria). In case of more than one contestant, a new application form and a video should be sent to email@example.com by the 31 March, 2020, 11:59 pm latest.
Special jury will award First, Second and Third Prize.
The winners will be notified by 15 April, 2020.
The three best participants will receive certificates, tuition discounts at UACS, and valuable book awards from our sponsors via post and email. Certificates of participation will be awarded to all students and their teachers via email.
How to participate:
- Record your student/contestant read the chosen excerpt. In the recording, the student should introduce him/herself, state the school and the name of the mentor, and read an excerpt of 300-400 words. The whole recording/video should not exceed three minutes.
- Save the video file with the name and surname of the contestant. The video file should be saved in one of the following formats: MPG, .MP2, .MPEG, .MPE, .MPV, .OGG, MP4, AVI, .WMV, MOV, .QT, FLV, .MKV, .AVCHD. Example: elena_dimova.mpg
- Fill out the application form (parts a and b) in attachment.
- Send the video file, along with the application form (parts a and b) in one email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 March, 2020, 11:59 pm latest.
- In case you have two contestants, please send their proposals in a different email following the above instructions.
- Mentors who have already sent their applications according to the first and second call for participants, are kindly asked to resubmit their proposals following the regulations outlined in the present (third) call.
School of Foreign Languages, University American College Skopje