WHO WE ARE
The UACS School of Foreign Languages offers an exceptional academic curriculum that enables our students to acquire unique knowledge, develop outstanding language and literacy skills, and gain valuable experience.
Designed to meet the needs of the language professionals, students at our School are introduced to modern methodology in teaching English language and literature. They learn to use the well-proven teaching techniques and methods and adapt the less-favored ones to their own needs, while being trained to successfully manage various classroom experiences in their future career.
Our students are also taught the most contemporary techniques for translating written documents. As the translation courses are designed to provide both theoretical knowledge and practical ability to analyze language, text, discourse and culture, the business communication part prepares them for the challenges of business dealings in the era of globalization.
Those graduates who love literature and are fond of reading and writing will benefit from our Creative Writing program, which is carefully designed to help them clearly express their feelings and freely voice their thoughts.
WHAT WE STAND FOR
We believe in teaching a foreign language in diverse multicultural environments, with different groups and at different levels in a socially responsible manner. Our teaching staff is accustomed to using and teaching computer assisting tools, as well as a translation software with greater speed and efficiency.
UACS SFL teaches the students to collect, analyze, compare and evaluate data for the purpose of making different types of translation. We are dedicated to developing the ability for business communication, effective communication in teams, as well as gaining skills for presenting and communicating in English language in a multicultural environment. We offer an exceptional mix of the best European and American practices in terms of education and we involve our students in international research projects and activities.
The UACS SFL students are encouraged to take part in the Erasmus+ European Mobility Program and spend a study semester at one of our partner universities in Europe. They are also encouraged to take part in CEEPUS (Central European Exchange Program for University Studies) to spend a month at a university in the CEEPUS member states.
WHY YOU SHOULD CHOOSE US
- Exclusive opportunity at UACS – alongside studying English, learn a second world language of your choice: German, Italian, French or Spanish!
Study English with us and we will help you unearth your linguistic potential – prepare for the global market by studying the lingua franca while learning another language. Be it an English language and literature teacher or a translator, you will undoubtedly benefit from the double gain – a diploma in English and a B2 level proficiency in one of the four European languages: German, Italian, French or Spanish. Learn it from day one and get prepared, way before the others, for the country’s EU accession.
- Language courses taught by native speakers!
Distinguished visiting professors from Germany, Italy, France and Spain will be teaching you their language, showing you their culture and discussing their values with you!
- In three years’ study time, a diploma in English and proficiency in another foreign language!
You don’t need to spend extra years – at UACS, the three-year cleverly tailored, profile-shaping study programs expose you to an intelligently focused, more efficient and a goal-oriented learning experience. Our teacher or translator training programs are subtly ingrained with linguistics, yet, enough to rise your curiosity in linguistic diversity.
- New graduate program in the region!
If you are a literature lover and enjoy reading and writing, our graduate program in Creative Writing should free your mind, give you new perspectives and sharpen your expression.
- Exceptional teaching!
All of our faculty members are internationally educated and they will selflessly offer their academic support to help you achieve your best potential.
- Employability at its finest!
You get employed while studying with us – as part of the study program and within your core concentration courses, you are equipped with knowledge and skills that help you distinguish yourselves and make you appealing to the companies.
- All proceed to a Master’s degree!
Bachelor of Arts is a pretty good qualification but it should not end your educational cycle. We pride ourselves on having curious and ambitious undergraduates who never ponder what to do next – they know the MA degree is the normally expected path they ought to take. They are quick-thinking, decisive bright minds convinced in the power of education who know that the higher the education, the more thriving the career.
OUR TEACHING PHILOSOPHY
UACS is well known for applying various teaching methods, approaches and techniques. Some of them are:
- Communicative Language Teaching (CLT)
- Community Language Learning (CLL)
- Principled Eclecticism
- Multiple Intelligences
- Participant-Centered Learning methods
- Learning by doing
- Case study
- Role play
- Problem solving
OUR ACADEMIC PROGRAMS
The highly ambitious program of the School of Foreign Languages enables students to build a successful career and become professionals in their field. By exposing students to
contemporary teaching methods and text theories, we are dedicated to creating highly skilled language professionals, capable of answering the demands of the modern business world.
The SFL offers studies in the following concentrations:
- Teaching English Language and Literature
- Business Communication and Translation in English
- Creative Writing
UACS BUSINESS COUNCIL
The cooperation with the UACS Business Council is a key factor for developing highly professional staff for modern companies. The UACS Business Council collaborates with a business network of foreign languages schools, publishers, translation agencies and other companies in need of high-skilled language professionals, providing students with internships and job opportunities, networking and career counseling.
GIVING BACK TO COMMUNITY
Our programs also nurture social responsibility in students, inviting them to respect the community they live in by being responsible members of society. This is why UACS organizes plenty of socially responsible events and projects in which students are actively involved.
EXPECTED LEARNING OUTCOMES UPON GRADUATION
- Know the source language (the students’ mother tongue) and the target language (English) at the level of: word, idiomatic expression, sentence, discourse, and style;
- Learn the elements of teaching hours and the function of textbooks and materials for teaching English;
- Be able to prepare lesson plans, select instructional materials, recognize the needs and deficiencies of students and properly direct their further educational process;
- Gain skills for presentation, transparency and clarity in teaching a foreign language;
- Be able to analyze and use the basic principles and methods of translation and interpretation;
- Learn the basic principles and methods of business communication and correspondence, business terminology, writing business plans, reports and proposals;
- Develop your writing creativity, learn to craft an original piece and build your own intellect.
Upon graduation, students earn a diploma which offers vast opportunities for getting a job as foreign language professionals or for freelance self-employed work. Some of the professional opportunities that students could pursue as future career are the following:
- English language teacher in primary and secondary education, as well as adult education in both private and public sector,
- English language instructor and lecturer in higher education,
- Translator and interpreter of different sorts of texts and topics, both in domestic and foreign companies,
- Business communication correspondent,
- Book editor.
TITLES AND DEGREES EARNED UPON GRADUATION
Upon completing the graduate study program, the students earn one of the following degrees:
- Master of Arts in Philology, concentration in Teaching English Language and Literature
- Master of Arts in Philology, concentration in Business Communication and Translation in English
- Master of Arts in Philology, concentration in Creative Writing
Graduate studies are available as:
- one-year program (60 ECTS), for students who have completed 4 years of undergraduate studies (4+1)
- two-year program (120 ECTS) for students who have completed 3 years of undergraduate studies (3+2)